The seal and calc filter I ordered turned up. Here’s what $73 gets:
Fitting was relatively trivial however I did take the liberty of giving the machine a decent clean while I was at it.
What I found interesting was the build-up that had formed in the group head where the seal was; a black sticky mess almost like tar. It appears to be residue where coffee has reacted with the rubber of the old seal to form a tar-like substance. I scraped as much of this out as possible before fitting the new seal to help the two surfaces mate properly.
Unfortunately I took the photo after I had already started so much of it has been scraped out already.
Once all was done I powered up, made a coffee and was dismayed to see the machine leaking again! Fortunately this ‘fixed’ itself after pulling a few shots but I remain unconvinced.
Bro, I think you got ripped. A similar silicone rubber seal for my Mums Sunbeam EM5600 cost about NZ$10 (about £7), and that’s including delivery to the arse-end of the world…
But I’m still full of admiration for your tip to fix the screen on her Sharp carousel microwave.
After 5 years with a broken LCD screen it now works perfectly.
Anyway, re; the still dripping seal – make sure you have it the right way around – it will fit in upside down! The metal rim of the perforated cup should fit easily in the circular slot in the silicone seal. There do seem to be a few dribbles in the first few operations (perhaps until the coffee tars have built up again to seal it!
Not surprised given the dealer who I had to order it through but it was the quickest way at the time. I own a much better machine now though. 🙂
Great to hear of another useful microwave being salvaged too. Other than the LCD they seem pretty much bullet proof.